Frequently Asked Questions


How can I get a Civil Protection Order? Does it cost anything?

You may seek the services of an attorney.

You may also apply for a Domestic Violence Civil Protection Order (DVCPO) or a Dating Violence Civil Protection Order. You must come in person to the court and speak with the Domestic Violence Public Coordinator. The office is located in the lobby of 301 W. Third Street, Second Floor, Dayton, Ohio. Filing hours are: Monday-Friday from 8:30 - 11:30 a.m. or 1:15 - 3:30 p.m. The filing process is generally two hours long and you must attend a hearing the day you file. You must have the name, address and DOB (at minimum) of the party you wish to file against. 

There is no cost to file for a protection order in the state of Ohio.

The other parent is withholding the child?
Contact the police department or sheriff’s department where you reside. You will need to show law enforcement a certified copy of your divorce or dissolution decree, which states you are the residential parent and legal custodian of the child(ren). They can go with you to the other parent's home while you secure the return of your child. If this does not work, you will need to get legal assistance immediately.